Friday, February 13, 2015

Tim Hecker - Sundown6093 by ghostly



Final 15 - A Ghostly 15 Playlist Curated by Michael Cina "Anyone that knows me, knows that my main passion is music. I spend all day listening to music at work and my vinyl collection of 16k pieces greets me when I get home. I knew about Ghostly International before they contacted me in the early 2000’s and we would write off and on. They used to send me big packages of white labeled vinyl, it was decadent. Late 2007 I got a call from Ghostly asking if I was up for designing a new single for Dabrye. It was a dream come true and I feel like I found a friend who really understood me. I have had the distinct privilege to design over 100 covers for Ghostly, and that is only the half of it. When they asked me to do a compilation, I was all about it. I wanted to do three or more compilations because I wanted to segment it up into different sections (Ghostly, SMM and Spectral). It is impossible to reduce the entire label to 15 tracks. Ghostly is dynamic, they don’t fit one sound, genre or idea. So I approached it as a mixtape of sorts. I tried to find a common thread that spoke to me and create a mood around that idea. Some of my favorite tracks are not on here. JDSY 'Horizon Line' makes my head spin. Choir of Young Believers 'Paralyse' takes me to another place. There are so many more. What you are hearing some songs that have spoken to me over the years in a distinct way. I don’t feel like they are obvious choices but they all are nothing short of amazing. I hope this compilation helps you see a different side of one of the best labels to ever do it." - Michael Cina